Friday, March 30, 2018

Sunday's Training (1.4.18)

We are going to try out a different approach this Sunday. As usual there will be group techniques that everyone will work on. But we will start to get the players to work on individual techniques as well.

I always feel it's important for each player to have three core tachi-waza and two core newaza techniques. What those techniques should be would depend very much on factors like body type, temperament, agility, etc. So it really varies from player to player.

The choice of techniques should be a mixture of advice from the coach and the player's own preferences. When I was training for competition in the US, for tachi-waza my coach assigned me ippon-seoi-nage and yoko-tomoe-nage. Later, I added side takedown (yoko-sutemi-waza) on my own, which I picked up when I trained in the UK. For newaza, I was taught techniques like the trap choke and sankaku. Juji-gatame, I picked up on my own. So, it's really a mix of stuff your coach advises you to learn and stuff that naturally appeals to you.


Oshima Roll

The group technique for newaza will be Oshima Roll, a variation of obi-tori-gaeshi. Yuma Oshima does this technique very well and has a particular strategy for getting the grip he wants. I'll be showing this with video examples as well.


Yoko-Tomoe-Nage

The group technique for standing will be yoko-tomoe-nage, which is the dominant form of tomoe-nage done in competition. This technique requires quite a bit of finesse to pull off. It's not one of those techniques that can be forced. While seoi-nage came to me immediately, yoko-tomoe really took a long time for me to master. But a lot of players like this technique so I think it's worth getting them started on this so they can learn to do it properly. As usual there will be video examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment