Thursday, March 22, 2018

Trap Choke

The trap choke is both a strangle and a hold down.
The sankaku is the most versatile strangle because from a sankaku position, you can also do an armlock and a pin. The "trap choke" comes a close second to sankaku in terms of versatility. It's both a strangle and a pin (at the same time).

The reason I refer to it as a "trap choke" rather than by some Japanese name is there doesn't seem to be a Japanese equivalent to it. When I was taught this technique, I was told it was called the "trap choke", so that's what I still refer to it as.


It's interesting to note that in the US, shimewaza are often referred to as "chokes" whereas in the UK, it is typically referred to as "strangles". (With the exception of the trap choke, I tend to refer to shimewaza as strangles, probably because I trained longer in the UK than I did in the US).

From what I can tell, the trap choke is very much a Western innovation. I originally assumed it was American as it was in the USA that I learned about it but later on I saw a video by a Frenchman who did many different variations of this technique.

The closest Japanese technique to this is gyaku-juji-jime and indeed there are elements of it in this strangle but the gripping, the entry, the execution and the completion of this strangle is completely unlike how gyaku-juji-jime is traditionally taught.

In its traditional form, gyaku-juji-jime is done with tori gripping both of uke's lapels when tori is in a "guard position" underneath uke. The trap choke's "gyaku juji" (reverse cross) grip is done in a completely different way with one hand on the back of uke's collar and one hand cross gripping uke from underneath his armpit. So there's already a huge difference right from the start of the technique (everything else about it -- the entry, the execution and the completion of it -- is different too).

I like the trap choke very much, for many reasons. Firstly, it's not that well-known and not that commonly seen in competition. Secondly, when you apply it right, it's a very difficult strangle to resist. Thirdly, even if uke is somehow able to resist, he is unlikely to be able to escape the hold down. It's really a double whammy -- a strangle and a hold-down at the same time.

We'll be working on the basic version of the trap choke on Friday. If the players make quick progress, I'll show them a couple of variations of the trap choke that work really well. It's really a great technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment