Thursday, June 4, 2015

Thursday 4/6/15 Session (Extra Competition Training)

Despite the long and pretty intense training last night, a few of my players wanted more training. How can I say no to that?

I started them off with some mat edge drills where they learn to stay in the contest area despite being pushed by their partners.

These types of drills are important to train the players to stay within the contest area. Getting a shido for stepping out is a total waste.

Next, gripping. I show them some tactics they can use when their partner imposes a high grip.

Next, drills. Aishah pulls down Qaini's head. I taught them an effective way to deal with such a situation.

Here, Cherylynn adopts a high right grip against Suan Wah. His job is to effectively break free of that situation. I really believe in such situational drills.

Next, I show them how to legally break their partner's grip. With the new IJF rules in place, it's important to know what is legal and what is not.

I get the players to do some drills on grip breaking. After that I go through some personalized newaza stuff and then some personalized tachi-waza stuff with each of them.

What can I say? These are really judo crazy people, training hard on a non-class day while everyone else is resting and recovering. I always have time for people like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment