Saturday, October 28, 2017

Other dojos: Huntsville Judo Club

Schrimser (bottom), an instructor at Huntsville Judo Club.
I always find it very interesting learning about other judo clubs. Through my activities in judo, I've gotten to know many judo players and coaches from around the world and I'm going to start a series highlighting different judo clubs.

Some will be high-level, competitive clubs and some will be small, community-based, recreational clubs. But all are run by people passionate about judo.

We start the series with the Huntsville Judo Club in Alabama, USA. My contact there is William Schrimsher, an assistant instructor at the club.

William competes nationally and is very passionate about judo. He spends almost every night drilling, teaching, or studying in some way to help grow a sport he feels is the perfect balance of effectiveness and respect.

How many members does your club have?
About 20 to 25 people, mostly pre-teen kids. I'd say 70% of our members are kids.

How many instructors? 
There's one chief instructor and three assistant instructors.

Are coaches paid or volunteers?

The head coach is paid. Other instructors get free training but not me. The original agreement with the facilities owner was that instructors would not need to pay to train there but I was not at the club at the time so that provision did not apply to me. I don't mind, as I believe it is good to pay for instruction. I benefit greatly from the classes and consider myself much more a student than an instructor

How much is the fee?
US$45 per month

The mixed classes at Huntsville Judo takes place in a gymnastics facility. About 70% of the members are kids. 

What are the facilities like? Do you use tatami mats?

We are actually located in a gymnastics facility so the mats are gymnastic mats on a spring-loaded balsa floor. These are 2-inch carpet mats. Very easy to work on and even hard falls are OK on them.

Do the adults and children train together?
Yes, we have a mixed class.

How long are the sessions and how long is the randori? 
Two hours each. Randori is about 30 minutes. But some people arrive early or stay back late to do more randoris.

Many competitors?
Not many. Competition is not discouraged but it is not required.

If not for competing, what are the main reasons the adults join judo?
I would say fitness and a bit of self-defense. But mainly fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment