Saturday, February 16, 2019

Judo and street fights

Judo in civilian clothes!



One of my players recently asked me an intriguing question: Am I ever concerned that someone who learns judo might use it in the street?

By that I don't think he is referring to a self-defence situation (where it would be warranted to use whatever means to escape) but rather he means someone who uses his judo skills in an unnecessary brawl somewhere.

That thought never ever crossed my mind before so I can't say that it is of concern to me. I guess there are several reasons why:
a) We teach judo as a sport not as a "martial art". Any fighting that goes on is meant to happen on the mat where players bow and shake hands afterwards.
b) There is a strong moral code in judo. I would like to think our players are better people because of the judo training they undergo.
c) The members of our club, in particular, are good people.

I guess if (a), (b) or (c) were not the case, there would be a cause for concern that someone might use their fighting skills for street fights and bar brawls, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment