Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday 27/5/15 Session (Hybrid Training)

Wednesday's session saw a small, dedicated group show up. A few beginners were there but mainly competitors. So, the focus was more on competition techniques. Jason was on hand to help out with the beginners.

I taught the players a very special osaekomi move that I've only seen Kaori Matsumoto do in competition. Interestingly, none of the other Japanese female players seem to have adopted this move. I showed the players some clips of Matsumoto doing this in international competitions and then I demonstrated it for them.

My elite players are very quick and picking up new moves. Here I am instructing Qaini on the proper gripping for executing this very unusual but very effective technique.

The main challenge the players had was in maintaining their grip during the execution of the move. It also requires a bit of flexibility to do this well.

Once locked in, it's almost impossible for uke to break free. Try as they might, neither Qaini or Aishah were able to break free when the other hand them locked in this unusual hold.

Here I am instructing my young ones, Cherylynn and Suan Wah, on
how to secure the grip for the Matsumoto Roll.

After a few tries, they managed to get it right. Quick learners!

I also got the players to review and practice the "trap choke" which I had taught them on Monday.

I showed the players clips of the reverse seoi-nage in international competitions and all of them were pretty excited about trying it out. In fact, most couldn't wait to get started. It's such an unusual and dynamic throw.

Jason helps to correct Cherylynn's stance for executing the throw.

Aishah smashes Matthew to the crash pad with her right-handed
reverse seoi-nage. I later told her and Qaini they needed to learn
to attack with this throw to the left as well as they will face many
right-handed partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment