Monday, May 11, 2015

First recreational training session

Last night we had our very first recreational judo training session. The turnout was very encouraging. Through Facebook and website exposure as well as word of mouth about a dozen brand new players showed up. 


Since many of them were absolute beginners, I briefed them about judo rules first. I explained which prohibited acts result in hansoku-make and which ones merit a shido. It was quite interactive. Many asked questions.


Since they were beginners without judogi, the practical thing to do was to try some newaza, focusing specifically on osaekomi. The first one, kesa-gatame of course!


Next, yoko-shiho-gatame. I had them try to hold their partners (the colored belts) down for 20 seconds.


The last hold-down I got them to do was kami-shiho-gatame.


Some of them were restless and keen to learn about throws. So, I taught them the most basic of throws: Ogoshi. Here, I am showing them the grip around the back.


I got every one of the beginners to experience being thrown as well as experience throwing. On a crash pad, of course.


The session can't end without a randori, so I got the colored belts to do some sparring. The beginners watched from the sidelines.


Group picture for the very first recreational judo training session at KL Judo!

No comments:

Post a Comment