Friday, March 20, 2020

Judo in the time of Covid-19: Luc Tournier (Australia)

Luc is a coach who still competes in veterans competitions in Australia and internationally

Q: Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

A: I was born in France but I am now based in Australia – I have dual citizenship and all three of my children were born here. I started Judo in France when I was seven years old and I began competing at an early age. Today, I am now a club coach but I still compete from time to time in veterans competitions, in Australia and abroad.

Q: Which club are you with?
A: My judo club is based in Perth and is called Judo International. The head coach and owner of the club is a former British international and I am a senior coach there. We are a very competitive club and we have several national players, including some national champions among our cadets and juniors. We also have a group of motivated and committed veteran players.

Q: You were doing triathlon for a while. What made you decide to do judo again?
A:
I liked the challenge of pushing my limits in the long-distance Ironman race. It kept me very fit and focused but nothing could replace the thrill of judo. After a long break, I returned to judo when my children started practicing. I think Pete, the head coach, grew tired of me coaching my kids from the side of the mat, so one day he presented me a brand new judogi and asked me to get on the mat. After that day, I’ve not done any triathlons.

Q: Why did you want your kids to do judo?
A:
I want my kids to practice judo because of all the many good qualities that are associated with judo, which will help them in their daily lives. It will make them stronger people, not just physically but mentally as well.

Q: How is the Covid-19 situation in Perth?
A: At this time there are not many cases in Perth but with this virus, it can increase exponentially by the day. All local competitions, nationals and internationals have been either cancelled or postponed just to be safe.

Q: Are judo clubs still operating?
A: Many clubs in Perth and across Australia have now closed until further notice. At this stage, there is no instruction from the government to shut down, only a recommendation, but it may happen anytime now. We are anticipating a total lock down – similar to what is happening in France, Malaysia, etc. We need to seriously think about how to keep our judo members engaged and to keep them fit and focused as the clubs might be closed for a long time. That is a real challenge, and I will be happy to take onboard any suggestions from judo coaches around the world.

Q: Are clubs in Australia supported by the local council or state?
A:
No, most of the clubs in Australia are privately owned. The Covid-19 situation will certainly impact clubs as there are ongoing costs.

Q: Do you think clubs can survive if they are required to shut down for a long time?
A:
I am convinced that many clubs will survive because most are run by passionate people who put their heart and soul into the club. Nobody does this for the money. I think their members, especially the adult members, recognize this and will continue to support the club through this crisis. The main risk will be with the children, whose parents might pull them out of the club if the break is too long. Then the club will have a job of re-building the children’s classes.

Q: Were you training right up to the shut down?
A:
Yes, I was training at my judo club and at a university judo club.

Q: If the clubs were not shut down right now would you still be training?
A: I would make a risk assessment based on the Australian Government Department of Health recommendation before deciding if I should stop practicing. This is one of those things where you would have to take it one day at a time.

Q: What are you doing to keep fit now that there’s no judo?
A: I’m still going to the gym to lift weights but I suspect my gym will soon be closing too. I go to the park to do some running. I also have my own little private dojo in my home where I can do uchikomi and newaza with my son and get my two daughters to practice too!

Q:
Do you think the Olympics will carry on as planned?
A:
I would be devastated if the Games are cancelled but I recognize that that’s the wise thing to do. What’s most important is the health and safety of everyone.

Q: Any advice for Malaysian judokas?
A:
Stay positive, remembering that in any crisis there are opportunities. Keep fit and be innovative in training at home. Watch judo online and think about how you can improve your judo. Lastly, think about how you can help your judo club and your fellow member in these difficult times. We all want to have a judo club to return to when this blows over and we need our training partners to be there too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment