Sunday, March 29, 2020

Judo in the time of Covid-19: Alexandre Paysan, France

Both husband and wife love traveling the world.

Note: Since the publication of this interview, this couple has been repatriated back to France. They left together with the French Embassy officials.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
A:
I am French, originally from the region of Grenoble. I spent part of my youth in Berlin, Germany where I started judo. Then I did judo in many regions of France. I’ve travelled to many countries of the world, always bringing my judogi along. So far, I’ve been able to do judo during my travels to Qatar, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Singapore, Japan, Oman, South Korea, Réunion, Mayotte and the Seychelles.

Q: You’ve taught judo in many places. Which places have you done this?
A:
In 2003, I graduated as a judo teacher. Through this career, I was able to travel to many new places to teach judo. I’ve been in Guadeloupe, Saint Barthélémy, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, Mexico, Portugal and Tahiti.

Q: Tahiti was your last assignment? How did a coaching position in such exotic place come about?
A:
Yes, a judo club from Tahiti contacted me and offered me work in this part of the world that I had never been to. So, we packed our bags and went to the other side of the world. I was able to discover a new culture and new rhythms of work. It was a great experience in a heavenly environment. Over there I was able to teach judo at a club, schools and in a college.

Q: You have such an unconventional lifestyle, travelling and teaching judo in various places. How did you come up with this idea?
A:
I had always wanted to travel. But we had jobs and a house in France. One day my wife said to me: Let’s go around the world! So, we sold everything. No more house, no more belongings, just a suitcase each. Since 2013, we have been travelling the world. I am lucky to be married to a wonderful woman who loves to travel as much as I do!

Q: You are currently in South America. What are you doing there?
A:
This year my wife and I decided we wanted to discover South America, its local culture and the judo culture there. We left France on November 27, 2019 and travelled to South America by way of Canada. The countries we planned to visit were Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay. Our plan was to return to France on July 21, 2020. We started in Argentina as planned but we only managed to make it to Bolivia because of the Covid-19 situation. We are now stuck here because of the lock-down.

Q: Based on your Facebook Page, you taught at various clubs in the places you visit. How many clubs did you teach at?
A:
In Canada, we taught at a club in Toronto and at another in Orilia. In Argentina we taught at two clubs in Buenos Aires, a club in Rosario, two clubs in Cordoba, two clubs in Mendoza, and a club in Salta. In Bolivia, we taught at a club in Tarija and another in Santa Cruz de la Sierra.

Q: How did you identify which places to go to and which clubs to teach at?
A:
It was purely through networking. Once we teach at one club, we’d start getting referrals to other judokas and other clubs. So, we would move from one club to another, based on recommendations. I also looked up judo clubs on social media.

Q: How did you communicate with the locals? Do you speak Spanish?
A:
From our time in Mexico we learned a bit of Spanish.

Q: Did you take Spanish lessons in Mexico?
A:
No, when we first landed in Mexico, I spoke no Spanish at all. But the very next day, we were already on the tatami and I learned a bit of Spanish there. You could say I learned Spanish on the mats.

Q: What do you think of the judo culture in South America compared to say, in France?
A:
In France, judo is everywhere. There are clubs in every city. There are almost 600,000 judokas in France. You can make a living with judo in France. In South America, judo is poorly developed but the spirit of judo is there. The doors of the dojos are always open to visitors. From the very first moment, it's like you’re already a part of the family. That is the magic of judo!

Q: What was your plan for after the tour?
A:
I hope to have a job as a judo teacher again but where, I don’t know yet!

Q: Are judo clubs now all shut down where you are at?
A: 
There’s no more judo in South America. Everything’s shut down now. The last time I did judo was March 12.

Q: What advice would you give to a judoka who loves judo but is now staying at home because of this situation?
A:
Now is the time to work on your mind. Learn theory, refereeing rules, the history of judo. You can’t do judo but you can do some physical exercises in the home and do some stretching.

Q: Any words you would like to share with Malaysian judokas?
A:
I hope this global crisis will be over soon and that we will have the opportunity to do judo together in the future. In the meantime, let's be good judokas!

No comments:

Post a Comment