Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Judo in the time of Covid-19: Alan Marchal, Belgium




Alan (red sash) runs his own website on Belgian judokas.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
A:
I’m a 32-year old journalist for the Belgian newspaper "L'Avenir". I’ve been doing judo for over 25 years in a small club located 30km from Brussels. I am both a student and also a teacher at the club.

Q: What’s the name of your judo club?
A: My club is called the Judo Club Thorembais. I feel very attached to it because I’ve been training there since I was a child. I train there three to four times a week. Each session lasts between two and two-and-a-half hours.

Q: Can you tell us about the judo website that you run?
A:
Thanks to my journalism work, I often get to meet elite Belgian judokas. Unfortunately, judo is not yet a very well publicized sport in Belgium. So, I decided to create a website to promote judo. Since 2012, through JudoBelgium, I try to share as much information as possible about our top judokas and local competitions.

Q: You did a web documentary about Toma Nikiforov. What was that about?
A:
In 2016, Toma Nikiforov participated in his first Olympic Games. I have been covering Toma from the start and I know that Rio was going to be one of the highlights of his career, regardless of the outcome. I asked him if he would be willing to tell me a bit about his life story and what motivates him to be a top judo athlete. It was a fulfilling project for the both of us.

Q: Are you working on another documentary?
A:
I’m trying to finish another webdoc about the Tokyo Olympics and what Japan means to Belgian elite judokas. To achieve this, I followed some of them for a trip to Japan. It was really very interesting and inspiring. Obviously in light of the Olympics being postponed, my doc will be delayed somewhat.

Q: How is the Covid-19 situation in Belgium right now?
A: Belgium is locked down. You can only go outside if you want to buy some necessities like food or medicine. You can also do some physical exercises outside but only if you are alone. It is forbidden to gather in a group. Naturally, judo clubs are closed too.

Q: When did the closure for your club happen?
A:
Quarantine measures began on Saturday, March 14. For many judoka players, it was a strange sensation. Everyone understands that drastic measures must be taken to stop the spread of Covid-19 but it’s still something difficult to live with.

Q: If the shutdown order had not been made by the government would your club have stayed open?
A:
Several club teachers and I asked ourselves the same question a few days before the authorities announced the quarantine measures: Should we leave the club open? After a long discussion, we decided to close the dojo the day before the Belgian government made the announcement. We did not want to take the risk of endangering the health of our students.

Q: How are you keeping in shape?
A:
I do some running, rowing and weight training.

Q: Are you watching a lot of judo videos?
A:
When I do my rowing or strength training, I watch some judo on my tablet. It helps to keep me motivated. I really like to watch old fights like those of Keiji Suzuki and Kosei Inoue, for example.

Q: Are judo clubs in Belgium generally private endeavours or are they government supported?
A:
The clubs here are mainly private. Although they receive some financial support from the authorities this is not enough to get them through these tough times. They will have to depend on the contributions of their members.

Q: What do you think of the Olympics being postponed?
A:
Given the lock-down that is happening everywhere, athletes are not able to train so it is a good thing that the Games are being postponed. This will allow the athletes to get the necessary amount of training before they compete.

Q: How do you think this Covid-19 situation will have a long-term effect on judo in Belgium?
A:
I don’t think judo clubs will lose members because of the fear of Covid-19. I think once the lock-down is lifted, people will want to catch up with friends and do the things they enjoy doing together. I’m convinced judokas will be keen to go back to their dojos to train.

Q: Any words you would like to share with Malaysian judokas?
A:
There is a slogan that I really like: "To save lives, stay at home". Let us be strong, confident and patient, and we will all soon be able to do judo again.

No comments:

Post a Comment