Sunday, August 5, 2018

Akmal gets his yellow belt

In my previous posting, I wrote about a couple of guys from Sunway Judo Club who have been waiting two years to get graded. Today, one of our players finally got his yellow belt after three and a half years of doing judo on and off.


Akmal has got good fighting skills and is a strong, athletic player. Certainly from a fighting perspective, he is yellow belt level and beyond. But at KL Judo we really believe our players should have a strong technical base so I've insisted that they know a core set of techniques as well as some Japanese terms before they get their first belt.

A judo friend from Canada told me something the other day that was quite interesting. He said a yellow belt and a black belt are the two most important belts in  judo player's journey. I had never thought of it that way before but it's actually quite insightful. The significance of a black belt is obvious but yellow belt? Well, if you think about it, what my friend says makes sense. The yellow belt is your very first promotion. It's your first tangible sign of progress in a sport where progress generally comes quite slowly.

After giving him the cert and belt, I told Akmal not to let this be his last belt promotion and not to let it be 3.5 years before the next grading! Hopefully he can get to orange soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment