Sunday, February 9, 2020

Teaching the gokyo

Last Saturday, I began teaching our senior players the Gokyo, which was most recently updated in 2017.

We went through about half of the tewaza (hand techniques segment) which has 10 legal throws (there are a few hand techniques that are no longer legal under IJF rules and we don't teach those).

It took quite a while to go through just five or so techniques because we broke them down into their component parts. I didn't want to just skim through the techniques. I wanted to go into great detail because these players are going to grade for black belts. I want them to know the throws inside out.

I was delighted that the response to the Gokyo session was very positive. The players all found it interesting and useful learning that stuff.

We will devote Saturdays to learning the Gokyo. Their grading is in November so we have time to go through everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment