Thursday, May 28, 2015

Thursday 28/5/15 Session (Elite Personal Training)


Two of my elite players wanted extra training and specifically asked for circuit training to kick things off. There was a Camberley-styled circuit training that I had showed them earlier and I considered employing that today. But I decided to reserve that for a group setting as it is more ideal to be done in a group, with many players suffering together!

So, instead I had them do the world-famous 7-Minute High Intensity Interval Training which I had an app for.

It's not quite as tiring as the Camberley circuit training but after three sets of doing the 7-minute HIIT, you can see the girls were pretty worn out.

After a short rest, I had them practice the Neil Adams juji-gatame roll. Practice makes perfect.

Here, I'm emphasizing the importance of bringing the right leg over uke's head to prevent uke from sitting up and escaping.

Here, I'm emphasizing the importance of sitting upright after the roll, to get into the right position to straighten the arm. 

I also got them to revise the Matsumoto Roll. Here's Qaini's doing it to the left, which is something new. Previously she had attacked from the right hand side.

Her left attack, as seen from another angle. Both these girls have gotten the technique down quite well.

Today, I taught them the Briggs Sankaku which is actually a turnover into a hold-down rather than a strangle. It starts off from a juji-gatame mounting position and involves a quick flip to the front of uke to execute the turn.

The Briggs Sankaku involves an effective use of an arm lever to force uke to the side and eventually onto uke's back.

I tell them to lock in tightly right after the turn. Any momentary delay can allow uke to squirm out and escape.

For tachi-waza, we revised ura-nage, which they had learned on Monday. I taught them a special version that does not involve utilizing brute strength. Normally, ura-nage is seen as a counter but I also showed them a direct-attack ura-nage which is popular amongst European players.

Something new is yoko-tomoe-nage which they had not done before. Their understanding of tomoe-nage is the classical version where you fall straight back. I told them that for yoko-tomoe, you have to stand in an kenka-yotsu position to create the space.

The entry is sudden and to the side, thus the name "yoko" tomoe-nage.

The throw is also done to the side rather than straight backwards.

They did quite well considering it was their first time trying tomoe-nage done this way (to the side).

No comments:

Post a Comment