Thursday, January 9, 2020

Can you learn judo from books?


Judo seems like the type of sport that you have to learn from a real live teacher rather than something from a book. Even a video might not be good enough as some people might not be able to pick up the nuances of the techniques even when they are able to see a moving demonstration of it. Many people need a real live instructor to point out their mistakes etc.

But if you happen to be in a place where there's not a lot of judo or if you don't have an advanced competition coach etc, you can learn a lot of things from various sources. If live teaching is not available videos are the next best thing. And if those are not accessible, it's books that you can learn from.

When I first started out in judo, I was in a university in Austin, Texas  Not much judo there. We learned the basics but to go beyond that, I turned to books. I recall the first few books I bought were by Neil Adams. I'm pretty certain I learned how to do a juji-gatame roll from one of his books. (The videos would come later).

These days, videos are abundant so there's not a lot of judo books anymore. But I think they can be useful as a handy reference if done well and if the techniques are catalogues properly. Also, if each technique is broken down into clear component parts and captured in stills, it could be very useful for learning.

So, live teaching is best. Videos are second. But books can be useful when the first two options are not available. It's how I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment