Saturday, November 9, 2019

The importance of club culture

In running a judo club there are so many important things to think about and to make sure you get right.

You need to maintain good infrastructure so that your club is a nice place to train in. You need to ensure there's a critical mass of players on the mat so each person has enough training partners. You need to come up with programs that cater for both competitors and recreational players. You need to make sure the sessions are always fun and interesting. The list is endless.

One thing I believe is absolutely crucial to get right is club culture. We judo players like to say that judo is more than sport. By that notion, a judo club must also be more than just a sports club. It's a little community -- a judo family, if you will.

As the head coach, I consider every new member to be an important component of the club. We look at the needs and aspirations of each member and try to help them achieve their goals. We also make sure they have fun in the process, because if it's not fun, it's not worth it.

I believe in leadership by example. If my players see me treat each person as super important and they notice the care and attention I give to them, hopefully they will treat their teammates that way too.

From what I've seen, it's working. No new player ever has to wait for some time to be accepted. From Day One they can integrate into the club without any problem because our players, I'm proud to say, are really friendly and welcoming.

This is part of our club culture. It's in our DNA. And it's something I'm really proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment